Thursday, September 5, 2013

Realism Meets Imagination - ABSURD(C)ITY

On a Sunday noon, I decided to venture out to an art exhibition, and Balai Seni Visual Negara (or National Visual Arts Development Board) came to mind! So I drove up to JalanTemerloh to explore what's new at the art gallery.

It was raining throughout the whole journey but I was not deterred by it. I finally arrived at the art gallery and believe it or not, my last visit to BSVN was like 8 years ago! I browsed through to see what's interesting but there was only one exhibition that captured my attention - ABSURD(C)ITY.

The entrance of the exhibition

The ABSURD(C)ITY exhibition showcases modern and contemporary artworks that features surreal elements since the 1950s until now. Realism added with creative, unusual imagination produces impressive artworks and this is proven true by our local artists, including the new ones. There are several types of artworks displayed, such as paintings, drawings, prints, sculptures, installation and etc. My personal favourite is the one below:


'Dan Master Itu Sedang Bekerja' by Hamir Soib

'Dan Master Itu Sedang Bekerja' or 'And The Master Is Working At The Moment' in English is produced by the artist, Hamir Soib. I like the fact that this piece is deep and has slight dark element to it. It is not necessary the most beautiful artwork that I have ever seen but I love the meaningful impression of it! I have read some reviews about this particular artwork. Some interpret it as the clown is working hard to entertain and cheer up the audience. Well for me, I look at it as a clown (or more like a jerk) trying to act smart and 'teach' the students as if he knows the subject matter very well. This is the beauty of art, different people have different interpretation of an artwork.

Due to the tight ruling of BSVN, which is no photography for artworks, I am not able to post more photos. The ones that I posted here are the ones that I luckily managed to snap before being warned nicely by the security officer! I was quite dismayed by the rule. In fact, it is a loss for BSVN as it could be an online publicity for them when people blog about the art exhibition (like what I am doing now). As long as there is no flash (the flash light may affect the texture and colour of artworks), then it should be fine. Compared with the art gallery in Sasana Kijang, visitors are allowed to take photos but without flash. That's cool and most of the visitors understood it well. 

Another artwork that I like at the exhibition:

'Someone Forgotten' by Wong Woan Lee. Image taken from: http://goodenei.com/2009/12/23/wong-woan-lee/

This is one emotive piece for me. It immediately reminds me of my father and how I should not forget all the great things he did for me. Never stop loving him.

Despite the not-so-great photography ruling, I guess BSVN will be one of the spots that I would like to drop by to check out new art exhibitions in future.

No comments: