Thursday, December 12, 2013

Art With Love - From Paris To KL

Balai Seni Visual Negara (BSVN) or National Visual Arts Gallery has certainly become one of my favourite spots to drop by (although I am not a fan of its no-photo-taking rule in galleries) and my recent visit proved to be worthwhile.

I found out that there were few exhibitions running in BSVN. The ABSURD(C)ITY exhibition is still running, which I have written about it earlier (click here to read). There were another two that I was interested but I want to write more about this particular one for this post - 'Paris to Kuala Lumpur', a solo art exhibition by the artist Ken Yang.

Truthfully, I've never heard of Ken Yang before until I stepped in into BSVN. "Hmm who is that?" I wondered. The royal yellow entrance (His Majesty The King officiated this exhibition) to the gallery signified how 'big' it is. I was still not too sure though what to expect. Without thinking much, I walked in straight away to view his artworks.

Wow. Yes, I had that 'wow' moment when I first set my foot in. You know, the feeling of not over thinking when making decision and being rewarded when you least expect it? That's exactly how I felt. The first thing that came to my mind is "he is so freaking talented!"

Ken Yang is a Paris-based Malaysian artist who travelled to Paris, France 10 years ago, pursuing his passion in arts. Inspired by the Western European arts, specifically the Renaissance style, his far long journey is certainly not a waste. His advanced technique in the 'sfumato' style and wide exposure from European and Parisian culture is well reflected in his artwork collection. He boost it further in his Malaysian artworks with such skill. This artist certainly has an eye for details. His detail work is very, very, very impeccable I must say. I super love detail artworks and Ken Yang exceeded that expectation. He captured the tiny, micro details and illustrate it professionally in his artwork. Looking at his artwork piece is like looking an actual life photo. Cun!

I normally love to highlight my personal favourite artworks but it is just difficult to do that with Ken Yang's artworks. I love most of it. There is none to be disliked.

My hands were super itching to take photos of Ken Yang's artworks but I was like under BSVN's microscope. The personnel kept on watching my movements all the time and it is not comfortable at all. I was not able to take any photos in his gallery :(

Luckily, I was browsing through the net and found out that the artist himself has a Facebook page with the photos of his artworks. Happiness! 

Some photos of the artworks from Ken Yang's official Facebook page:


"Ivory"
"At Night Under The Sakura Tree"
"Winter"
"The Cheater I". The artist was self-portrayed on the right.

"The Cheater II"
The Three Graces (Satu Malaysia)

The artist himself in an exclusive, sort of vintage photo shoot. 


Some portrait artworks on Malaysian royal family:





There are more interesting artworks but the best is to drop by at his art exhibition in BSVN and see it for yourself. The exhibition will run until 31 January 2014. Like myself, I'm sure you will not regret your visit to this exhibition :)


Ken Yang is definitely one of the artists to be watched out for. With his skill and talent, I think he can go far and produce more significant artworks. 

If you are interested to know more about Ken Yang, you can visit http://www.kenyang.info/ or his official Facebook page here.

2 comments:

Farah I. said...

love his art!! the detailing is magnifico!!

Unknown said...

So nice entry:)
I never have a chance to go there although it's not so far from my house. Reading this entry make me so excited to go balai seni visual negara ! Hehehe.

Dont forget to follow my blog ;)