Wednesday, December 18, 2013

BERSAMA In Collaborating Art

Doing things together can be beneficial and this is proven true with the BERSAMA Art Exhibition, which was officially launched on 12 December 2013 at Bank Negara Malaysia Museum and Art Gallery (MAG), Sasana Kijang.

BERSAMA or 'together' in English, is an art collaboration between Malaysia and Indonesia that aims to foster stronger relationship between the two countries by illustrating the richness of cultures that inspires and influences the daily lives of the people in the nation.  

The BERSAMA exhibition has actually been on display since October this year but they just officially launched it as there are additional artworks included for public's view. So this means, I have been here twice :D

It was pretty pleasing to see the artworks of our local and Indonesian artists' on display. I dare say this is one of the most satisfying art exhibition and the outcome is not disappointing at all. Malaysian and Indonesian artists certainly have the advantage in terms of richness in culture. That expands the idea and transform it to make it such as 'walla!' outwork. I love most of it.

This exhibition too, is difficult for me to highlight my personal favourites because there are just too many to admire with. There are over 40 artworks in this exhibition by 20 artists (11 Malaysian and 9 Indonesian).

Sharing some of the artworks in the exhibition:

Keluarga Cantik / Tiga Dara by Basoeki Abdullah, an Indonesian artist. 

Penari Jaipong by Basoeki Abdullah. 

There's something about Basoeki's artwork that attracted me. I would never get bored looking at it.  His artworks somehow felt 'alive'. The "Keluarga Cantik / Tiga Dara" (Beautiful Family / Three Ladies) artwork that features the lady in red is said to be the mother of the Central Bank's Governor. She is the late Sharifah Azah Mohammad Alsagoff or fondly known as Azah Aziz, Malaysia's culture expert. According to Indonesian source, the painting was produced when Azah was 26 year-old. However, she only saw this artwork more than 40 years after it was produced. She was above 80 years old at that time. This artwork was discovered at Istana Bogor, one of the presidential palace in Indonesia. 

Basoeki passed away in 1993, leaving his precious artworks behind for appreciation.


Kandang Penyu by Affandi

Petarung Sejati by Affandi. 

Ikan-ikan Dijemur by Affandi

Affandi is also another notable artist from Indonesia. I am usually not very much fond of abstracts but his abstract artworks are amazing and meaningful indeed. I truly appreciate his work. 


Merapi Setelah Meletus by Kartika

Kampung Di Penang by Kartika

Kartika Affandi is certainly one talented artist. Following her father footsteps, Affandi, she puts her very own personal touch in her artworks, which differs her from her father. Very good. She is not under her father's shadow and it is something to be proud of. 


Untitled (Zain) by Ahmad Fuad Osman, a Malaysian artist. Unity without prejudice, even if you are Spongebob. 

Another artwork by Ahmad Fuad Osman - Leap Of Faith. Ok I super like this one because it has emotion sentiment to it. I was just touched and I thought this is one deep, meaningful piece of artwork

Chairil Anwar by Syed Ahmad Jamal, a famous Malaysian artists

Kalamukara Prambanan (top) and Garuda Disanggar Affandi (below) by Siti Zainon Ismail, Malaysian artist.

I had the opportunity to speak to Siti Zainon about her artwork and involvement the art scene. "Did you know that Affandi purposely poured water on my artwork?" Siti Zainon explained to us while pointing to her "Garuda Disanggar Affandi" artwork. "Seriously???" my colleague and I were shocked to hear that. I looked again at her artwork and yes, I could see there were water marks on it. The artworks were the very few of Siti Zainon's early work, which was in 1970. I guess Affandi was probably mocking or challenging Siti Zainon at that time. Somehow, I thought it was actually a good move by him. The water marks added more character to the artwork and I quite like that.

Siti Zainon shared with us that when she was still young and studying arts, she and her mates worked really hard and it was compulsory for them to produce such artworks (as per in the photo above) to pass. They were required to produce about 500 pieces a month and must be of high standard or it would be rejected (in a very mean way, trust me). Gosh, 500 per month? Hands down to you Madam Siti. Kagum sungguh.


Three Heads by Ahmad Zakii Anwar. Ok, I have to admit this had never failed to amaze me. Everytime I look at this photo I will automatically be in awe. Zakii, a Malaysian artist produced this artwork using charcoal. Awesome piece of work. I snapped this during my first visit to this exhibition. Unfortunately, this piece has been removed to give way for other artworks to be on display.


And what do you know? Of course I had to take a picture with the talented artist himself, Zakii Anwar! One of the happiest day in my life. The artworks behind us were by Zakii as well.

A photo with Siti Zainon Ismail and her artworks

Last but not least, with Kartika of Indonesia. What a day :)

The BERSAMA exhibition will run until 5 January 2014. If you are into arts, do drop by and visit the art gallery. You will love it :)

3 comments:

Pha Is said...

yg mana bukan budak seni ni, boleh tengok je la. hehehe

Unknown said...

I pun bukan budak seni. In fact, tak pandai lukis pun. But skarang ni suka penghayati hasil seni :)

Unknown said...

I was there yesterday & the three heads charcoal art still exist...