Thursday, October 3, 2013

First Time Landed In Sabah, Bah! - Part 2

Welcome to the second part of the story :) In the first part, I travelled to Kota Marudu for my work project. It ended very well and I was extremely pleased with the outcome. So I headed back to Kota Kinabalu (KK) and spent the time left there before going back to Kuala Lumpur (KL) the next day.

Before I forget, I was not alone from KL. I came with another two lady colleagues for the work project. When you have two ladies around you and all work done, what do you do? Shopping la! The three of us were in excitement and the images of pearls were playing in my mind (Sabah is famous for its pearls). "Can't wait! Can't wait!" my heart was pumping with joy.

In the meantime, we had a quick drive through in KK city. The uncle who drove us to Kota Marudu was kind enough to drive us around KK when we reached back to the city. He brought us to the top of a hill, which he said would enable us to have an overall view of the city.




From the top, I could see that KK is a rapidly-growing city with more skyscrapers, but yet at the same time, preserved its nature very well. I remembered when the air plane almost landed on the runway, I could see the beautiful dark blue ocean with fishes swimming around. That exactly reminded me of the ocean at the South Island of New Zealand. It may not be as beautiful as New Zealand, but it was still breathtaking! It was pretty awesome to be at the top of the hill and have an overall view of KK. It worked for me at least because it was a short trip and that was a 'short cut' to discovering the city.

The three of us met again for dinner and right after that, we walked to Kampung Air Night Market - where the ladies' night begins. There was nothing else in my mind at that time except for pearls, pearls and pearls! I've been longing to go to Sabah to buy pearl necklaces and accessories, and finally I was there to fulfil my desire.

We reached Kampung Air Night Market within minutes since the place was very near to the hotel we stayed. Before coming to KK, I was told to go to the famous Filipino market but when I arrived KK, the locals told me to go to Kampung Air Night Market instead because the price is cheaper, even for original pearls. So we heed their advice and poof! Kampung Air Night Market was right in front of us. Some photos of the market:

At the entrance of the market from main road

Bargaining time at one of the pearl stalls.  It was just pearls everywhere!

Honestly, there were many stalls selling pearls at the night market. The three of us had our eyes rolling. You know when you have more choices, it becomes even more difficult for you to choose. So we had a good three round of walks at the market and then only started bargaining.

I was at one of my favourite stalls and was browsing through the pearl accessories. I was holding a hair band and tried it on. The sales guy at the stall was smart enough that he quickly pointed out, "Haa cantik kak, nampak macam 'princess'!"  Pandai sungguh dia bodek. Princess la sangat kan. He was buttering me up with the princess-look compliment. I thought "Why didn't he say that I looked like Miss Universe too?". I smirked at his remark but oh well, it kinda worked. I bought that hair band in the end! We made our final purchases and then headed back to the hotel to sleep.

The pearl accessories that have become mine

The multi purpose hair band which can also turn you to a Princess or Miss Universe, if you know how to rock it. Or even as a bride, if you like. 
I woke up super early the next day and was out walking to the city at 6.10 am. Trust me, I have never been this crazy to do such thing. However, since I was told that I could see 'interesting things' when the sun rises, I braved myself to do so. In East Malaysia, the sun rises as early as 6.00 am or slightly earlier before that. "Nanti pergi la tengok ikan-ikan colourful yang dekat jeti tu, cantik tau!" a local resident told me. She said I could find different kind of fishes in Sabah, compared to Peninsular Malaysia and she mentioned that 6.00 am would be the best time to go to the seaside.

So there I was, walking around and looking for fishmongers nearby the jetty but I got lost eventually. I couldn't find those people and I could have probably missed them. I walked further and ended up at a morning market, with the fish market next to it! "I could probably find the fishes here," I thought to myself.

KK at 6.30 am. Felt like it was 9.30 am!

I entered the fish market and the moment I set my foot in, I realised that I was like an alien to these traders and sellers. With a camera at hand and a Burberry handbag on my shoulder, I could read their facial expression, "Jakun mana tak pernah masuk pasar ni!". Hmm yes uncles and aunties, I probably have entered a few times only to wet market in life, but that does not mean I have never entered into one ok.

I looked around and ahaa! I found the unique fishes that my acquaintance told me. Some photos of it:

Idontknowthenameofthefishespartone

Idontknowthenameofthefishesparttwo

Fish slayer at work! And the lady on the left, I think she just said "No fish, no business!"

Fresh seaweed from the sea

Some of the fishes caught my attention as I have never seen them before. I was even amazed to see how fresh seaweed look like. However, I didn't stay too long at the fish market since the smell got stronger. I seriously think the market needs a good floor-scrubbing. The comfy flat shoes that I wore? Well, I can say goodbye to it now since the smell is still there, although I have washed it! Nevertheless, the experience was purr-re-ciouss!

I walked further and discovered a night market lot. It was partially closed because they only open at night but there were few stalls open selling dried food and local snacks. I stopped at one of the stalls and browsed through the selection.



I asked the lady who managed the stall and she explained to me all the local and unique snacks that were available. She even let me tasted some of it, which was really nice. I, however, was attracted more to this:

Colourful dried seaweed

Dried seaweed! It came in three colours - dark green, dark maroon and off-white. The three types have different health properties, and I ended up buying the off-white one and the dark green one. The off-white seaweed is for skin health and the dark green seaweed is for healthier overall being. I couldn't remember what was the dark maroon seaweed for. 

After buying the snacks and seaweed, I walked back to the hotel since I had to prepare flying back to KL before noon. That concluded my adventure in KK. Overall, the experience I had at KK was wonderful, although it was only for a short while. I have promised myself that I will make a holiday plan here since I received many recommendations for places to visit in KK and other places in Sabah. That would be more satisfying and enjoyable.

Above all, I'm glad that I made new discoveries and new bunch of friends when I was in Sabah. That added to the delightfulness of this trip. Totally awesome.

Till we meet again, Sabah. And I can feel that it is going to be soon :)

3 comments:

Farah I. said...

bestntyer jln2!

Unknown said...

xpernah lagi sampai sana..

Unknown said...

Nanti pergi la sana for a trip. I pun plan nak pegi balik for holiday betul2 :)