Friday, August 2, 2013

Meaningful Iftar

It's fasting month. A challenging month by day but comes with great rewards, which include the Iftar or breaking fast session when it is dusk. Everyone including myself would look forward to this after a long-day without food and water. And that is just one small test to a humble servant.

To me, it is not just the variety of food that makes my Iftar more meaningful (not that I ate greedily!) this time but the moments I had with my loved ones. It was truly delightful but yet, there was a certain feeling in me that felt the Iftar sessions I had were very important and in need indeed. The food, catch up and laughter, surrounded with pure warmth and happiness filled the gaps that we probably have long missed due to other life commitments and refreshed the intimacy of our bond ties.

The Iftar this time was more meaningful to me too because I decided to do what I had to do. After hugging and preparing to leave for home, I quickly slipped in by saying 'thank you for the friendship' to some of my friends. Some got it in a form of card with that sort of message. This is definitely new to my friends and myself. And because it is very new, the immediate response that I got was "Are you okay?", "Kau ni betul ke tak?" or "Eh kenapa cakap macam ni?". Trust me friends, I am fine and there is nothing wrong with me. And I don't intend to give some sort of signal of what is going to happen to me in future (mudah-mudahan dijauhkan sebarang malapetaka dan bala bencana). 

I just need to say that because that is how much I value our friendship (besides my precious family). I very much treasure the long years of friendship we had and to let time slipped by for our own busyness is just too cruel. Friendship is not to be taken for granted. We may feel it is awkward to say such things to our friends, but what is wrong with that? How often do we get to meet? So this is the least that I could do to remind ourselves and I said it at a perfect time with Syawal coming soon.  

I am probably getting more sentimental but I have no regrets.  May the great bond sides upon us, for the present and future.

Thank you for the friendship, my dearest friends.


“A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” ― William Shakespeare

No comments: